Lines are Available 24/7

Se Habla Español

Lines are Available 24/7
Se Habla Español

How to Obtain Title to a Vehicle or Mobile Home After a Death in Florida:

March 6, 2015

Our office frequently encounters questions from folks in the Tampa Bay Area and beyond regarding Probate.  Some estates simply consist of Mobile homes and or Vehicles. This article is meant to provide an overview and basic guide for those transferring title to a vehicle or mobile home after the death of a family member or loved one.


First and foremost, remember that in an estate, certain assets may fall into the exempt property category.  Florida Statute 732.402 provides exempt property as follows:

The exemption means that it can be distributed despite the potential claims of valid creditors (unless the creditor has a secured interest like a car loan finance company).   If you desire to claim a vehicle as exempt in Florida, you must do so by filing a Petition for Determination of Exempt Property with the Court.  There is a specific Probate Rule for this, Florida Rule of Probate 5.406 which lays out the requirements for such a Petition.

Aside from having the property determined exempt, you will need to obtain a transfer of the title to the vehicle through the appropriate Tax Collector’s Office in the county in which the person who passed resided at the time of their passing.  

After your submission of the right form depending on the nature of the estate you will need to provide the prior certificate or proof regarding ownership or the right to have the vehicle.   For more information or to find out where the authority/rules come from, check out Florida Statute 319.28. 

If you are trying to transfer title to a vehicle or mobile home and need assistance, give us a call.  

Brice Zoecklein, Esq. 


Disclaimer:   The information contained in this blog/website is for informational purposes only and provides general information about the law but not specific advice.  This information should not be used as a substitute for advice from competent legal counsel as laws change and the facts in your specific case need to be analyzed.